Monday, June 19, 2017

Red Canyon Hikes

We've spent the last week dry-camping in out of the way places.  No water, electricity or sewer.  Just beautiful locations.  Needless to say we've had no internet or cellular coverage.

The view out our RV window.  Nice.
Two years ago when we did the 7 week tour of the "Big 5 National Parks" in southern Utah we kept seeing the areas between, like Red Canyon in Dixie National Forest and 1.9 million acre Escalante.  This trip we are concentrating on the out of the way places in southern Utah.

Eva is ready to go hiking.  Let's go Smokey.
Our favorite hikes were in Red Canyon.  Pink Ledges and Arches Trail were the best.  Here's some photos.

On the trail before sunrise.


Sun starting to come through the canyon.
Eva always wants to walk a log.

We did a hike up Cassidy Canyon but turned around after a mile because it wasn't pretty enough.  The next day we drove 105 miles to Cedar Breaks National Monument as a day trip.


Cedar Breaks is a stunning location who's only drawback is that it is in the middle of nowhere, really nowhere.  It's up at an elevation about 10,000 feet so it is under snow most of the year.  We passed through snow fields in the middle of June.

That's two miles up in the air.  Very thin air.
More hikes and photos to come.  We're at Huntington State Park in Eastern Utah for the night.  So long as I have internet I'll do a couple of blogs.

Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Russ and Terri and Eva...
    I am almost back to Tucson from my summer road trip and just wanted to say thank you for the invite to set up my tent behind your RV in Red Canyon. It is a glorious view, and I am glad you enjoyed the hikes. I had breakfast on the Bryce Canyon rim and then made it to Brigham City for the evening. It has been a great summer trip for me... Montana, Oregon coast and the Sierras... but school starts soon and I am on my last 350 miles.... Take care and enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete