Saturday, December 21, 2013

Deck the Mexican Halls

We only brought a few Christmas lights with us to Mazatlan. We had no decorations. So as we have wandered around our new city, I have been on the lookout for uniquely Mexican Christmas items to bring holiday cheer to our sunny home.


I found woven Palm leaf ornaments and combined them with ribbon from the fabric store in Centro to make our front door Christmas greeting.

Amazingly they do import "fresh" evergreen trees from the states.  The Mexicans love them and are willing to pay a steep price to have that great smell in their homes.  We could not bring ourselves to buy a tree that had been cut back in the beginning of November.  Here is our answer to a tree.


A small herb plant trimmed as an evergreen tree.  A few sparkly decorations and we were good to go.  Next year I am going to get a palm tree to deck out.  That seems a better way to adapt to our new location.

A Poinsettia is more natural here than at home in the Northwest.
Terri found the perfect fabric to wrap the tree and Poinsettia plant at one of the amazing fabric stores in Centro.  For anyone that sews and loves fabric a Mexican fabric store is like going to heaven.


We have our straw piƱata hung over our dining room table.  My glass bowl is full of red Christmas ornaments.  Once again the fabric store had great material for the table runner.

The woven palm leaves in red and natural colors made a strange topper for one of our lamps.  Sometimes you have to go on a whim, this time it was Terri's idea.

Strange is OK.

Sparkly little trees.
What do you do when you don't have a yard to decorate?  In my next blog I will show you what I did with the lights we brought down with us.

And for my sister..... Ho Ho Ho.  More on that story to come later.

We have had to suffer through a cold spell the last few days.  We actually had rain yesterday, albeit warm rain.  It was down to 72 on our deck this morning.  Last night I told Terri that I was cold so I went outside to check the temperature, it was 76, so I put on my pajama pants so I wouldn't continue to suffer from frostbite.  I may be becoming a Mexican after all.

1 comment:

  1. I like the palm leave decorations. Pretty! Does the dog have a Christmas collar? Better start shopping.

    ReplyDelete