Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

The weather was cool this morning (70-74) so I decided to go explore our harbor in my kayak.  Terri helped me inflate and bring the kayak down to the harbor.  Than she was off to her morning massage.  The water was glass smooth with just a slight breeze, perfect for rowing.

I headed out the channel going to the Pacific but stopped just before the breaking waves at the entrance to the harbor.  I rowed around the El Cid Marina which is right at the mouth of the canal. 

The nice thing about rowing quietly in no hurry was that I talked to a dozen boaters along todays route.


A view back into our end of the Marina.
A portion of my 2.5 hour paddle today was through undeveloped areas of the Marina Mazatlan.  There are miles and miles of undeveloped shoreline that looks a little like jungle from the water level.


I rowed about a half mile up a narrow channel that has a small marina at the end.  Along the way I saw lots of jumping fish, herons of various breeds and a 3 foot long lizard sunning himself in a tree.


There were dozens of pelicans either fishing or sleeping.  I could row right up to them and they didn't seem to care.


Here is a long distant shot down a channel as I headed home.  The condo in the distance is where we live.

Home in the distance.
In the end I had circled the round island right in front of our condo.  I still have miles and miles of channels and canals to explore.  To the north of us the marina runs through a new 27 hole golf course.  To the south are miles of golf courses and homes.  I have a lot of exploring still to do.

Here are some views of our place from the marina out front of Portofino.

Gus Gus Restaurant along the boardwalk in front of our condo, Portofino.
Portofino
When I got back Eva was sitting out on the deck watching me clean the kayak.  I used the outdoor shower beside our pool to wash the saltwater off before deflating and rolling it up.


Eva supervising from the sixth floor.

Supervision is tiring for a puppy.  It is always best to take a nap following strenuous supervision.  Or I have personally found that a nap is good following almost any kind of work.  Or maybe even the thought of working.

Have I mentioned that I like retirement.

2 comments: