Thursday, December 5, 2013

They Share So Well


Yesterday we babysat the next door neighbor boy, Jossia who is 9 months old.  He brought along a stuffed ball to play with.  It didn't take long for Eva to run off with his ball.  So what's a kid to do when they have been ripped off by a 7 week old puppy?  Only one option.  Retaliate.

I'll show her who's boss!
I guess he knew exactly what to do.  "If she can steal my ball, I can have her bone".  All's fair in love and war.  And being a true man he ended up with all the toys.  Score.

The winner of the toy wars.  Eva walks off the loser.
Now I've never let the full truth get in the way of a good story so here is full discloser.  Terri washed the dog bone before Jossia got it.  Really.

Todays adventure started at 9:00am when we picked-up Sheila and drove out of Mazatlan to a public school in the colonias.  It was our first day of helping teach third graders English in a poor neighborhood.  The kids all wear uniforms to school so they all look great.  The class room of 26 kids is small but the teacher has done a good job of decorating it for the kids.

Sheila is a former grade school teacher from Gig Harbor.  She and her husband came to Mazatlan on their sailboat several years ago and she has been volunteer teaching English in this school for three years.  It turns out that her daughter went to high school with our daughter Tamra back in 1993.  Small world.

Now to my description of our morning teaching.  It was a blast.  The kids were amazing and all 26 kids were excited to have us come.  Maybe they were just looking for a break from their regular teacher.

One boy, Edwardo could speak some English and he and I hit it off right from the start.  I have a new best friend.  Maybe he can help me with my Spanish.
Edwardo.  My new buddy and helper.
Between the three of us we taught and danced and sang and had a great time.  We finished the class with them all singing "The Hoky-Poky".  It doesn't get more fun than that.

Terri's fan club.
When the final bell rang about a dozen girls rushed Terri to give her hugs. We can hardly wait till next Thursday to go back to school.


I even got hugs.
Another very, very good day in Mazatlan. 

Here's last nights sunset.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like Eva is having a good time. Have you given any thought to getting her across the border when you leave in the spring? From what I read, there's a bit of a process to it. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081224133155AAcpYCx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved today's blog! 'Terri's fan club' is my new wallpaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a special day for sure!

    ReplyDelete