Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Old Man Remembers Life Lesson

This morning as we were preparing to snorkel I remembered a life lesson that I learned fifty years ago.  Not only did I remember that lesson but I showed the wisdom to apply it to my present situation.  It's remarkable that anything in my brain could be recalled after fifty years.

Here is my memory.

My brother and I had taken our ski boat to Lake Sammamish for the first time.  We were with my cousins Boyd and Danny.  Dave and I were both very good slalom skiers so I choose to go first.  As it turned out we did not know about a long sand spit that extended out into the lake.  As I was cutting a wide turn the rudder of my slalom ski caught into the sand spit.  It quickly dislodged the ski from my foot.

At this point I was running across the top of the water at 35 MPH.  As you might guess that only lasted for a few seconds.  It was then that I learned why they use sand to make sandpaper.  As I fell and tumbled the sand took off a good portion of my skin.

I spent the rest of the summer as one large scab.  It was not fun.

This mornings surf break.
As I stood on the beach watching the surf I remembered back to that summer.  After seeing what was happening I told Dave that the rocky beach with a small sand entry area might be fine for entry but the problem would come when we needed to get out.  If the surf break was wrong it would be a repeat of that summer fifty years ago.

Wisdom reigned and we decided not to chance it.  We've both gotten smarter with age.

Rocks on one side and rocks on the other side.

Thirty feet of sand to hit.... to small today.

Time to head to the mountains.  It will be 93 degrees today so it will be cooler at 10,000 feet.

Favorite wife.
Yesterday was Terri and my 19th wedding anniversary.  The biggest reason that "Life is Good" for me is her.  I am grateful for a good wife.

1 comment: