Saturday, October 12, 2013

Sunny & Warm in Payson

Today we moved on to Payson which is a nice sized town in the Arizona mountains.  We will be spending several days here just enjoying the area.

Before we left Winslow we hiked about 2.5 miles early this morning to a Holomovi ruins.  We were the first and only people there so it was nice to slowly move through the ancient community and talk about how life must have been for the Indians.  Once again the site had thousands of broken pieces of pottery.  Even with small pieces you could see the painted artwork on many pieces.

My pockets are still empty.  No bad spirits coming home with me!
Home sweet home.... in an ancient kind of way.
It was another beautiful drive through the mountains.  The highest pass was 7,600 feet.  We are now at 5,000 feet for the next few days as we explore.  We drove through the towns of Strawberry and Pine on our way here and we plan to go back in the Honda to do some hiking.

It's been a while since I posted a "Random Picture of the Day".  So here are a few to make up for the lack of daily taken photos:

My sister Sara and Dad in 1957.
My son Matt signing up for the Air Force at 17.
He's now a lifer and a Master Sargent.

My Mom and Dad with my Auntie Barb in 1947.
Corky the beagle we had as kids.  Maybe the dumbest dog ever born.
He would run for miles away from our home and then realize that he had no idea where he was.
We'd hop in the car and go retrieve him when someone would call.
He also stood in the middle of the neighbors table and ate their dinner roast.  They were not happy.
My brother and I would get him running around the house, then we would go inside.  He would keep on running until my Mom would make us go out and stop him before he dropped.
A very dumb dog indeed.
Grandson Andrew still has an attitude.  He's in college now.
Now if that is not a random set of photos I don't know what is.  I'll have more current photos as we hike and explore in the next few days.

Another good day in the sun.



2 comments:

  1. Your hike sounded fun. And I liked that photo assortment! The dumb beagle was adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to see you two in a couple of weeks. Dave went to square dance tonight to be an angel!

    ReplyDelete