Saturday, October 19, 2013

We Three Rangers

We have settled in at Diamond J RV Park just Southwest of Tucson.  It's a nice location and a pretty place to be for the rest of the month.  We have mountains everywhere we look and they have been scheduling great sunsets just for us every evening.

My personal Cactus.  I hug it every morning.
I've been riding my bike around the two parks that are next to each other.  The weather has been sunny and in the low 80's every day.  Bike riding is easy because it's all flat here in the desert.

We've been catching up on our personal business the last few days and we are getting ready to enter Mexico on the 30th of October.  DHL delivered our permit from the Mexican government to take the Honda to Mazatlan for 180 days and we are pre-approved to enter for the same amount of time.  Monday I will submit our application for Mexican auto insurance.  Although we will be paying for American auto insurance they do not cover us once we are 25 miles from the boarder.

Today we went on a 200 mile road trip to Bisbee, Arizona.  You might ask why Bisbee?  The answer is a series of books by author J.A. Jance.  The books are all based in Bisbee and are tied into a series of books about a detective in Seattle.  The main character in the Bisbee books is Sheriff Joanne Brady.  I looked for her all day but she was nowhere to be found.  The books are novels so the odds of seeing her were slim.

Both Terri and I have read a bunch of her books and we wanted to see the town.

Downtown Bisbee.
Bisbee is squeezed in a canyon between two mountains.  It was a copper mining town for 100 years, now it is a well preserved artists town.  Today they were having a big event in town that involved over a thousand people climbing the 1,000 steps in town.  There is not a flat area in the whole town, it is either going uphill or downhill.  And there are steps everywhere.


We drove and walked a lot of roads around the town.  They were all 5MPH at the most. Many switch backs could hardly be made in our Honda.  All the houses are hanging on the side of some hill.  I assume there were no building codes 100 years ago and a horse didn't need that wide of street.

On the way to Bisbee we stopped in Tombstone.  There were hundreds of bikers in town for "Helldorado" which must be Arizona's answer to Sturgis.

Three Rangers in a row.
No, I am not under arrest.  I just wanted my picture taken between two Arizona Rangers.  If you can't guess, I'm the one in the middle.

I found this sign hanging just outside a saloon in Tombstone.  It pretty much sums up how I'm feeling the last few weeks of missing all the National Parks we had planned to visit.  Their lips were all moving but somehow I think we all knew something other than words were coming out.

That's exactly how I've been feeling the last few weeks.
We'll write more the next time something exciting happens.  All is well in the sun.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us know what you're up to. Love the picture of the 3 Rangers.

    -Trin and Indi

    ReplyDelete