Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Down On the Farm

We are staying on property that has been in the Bunn family for generations. Bob and his six siblings were raised on the family farm and the old family home still stands unoccupied across the street right next to the family graveyard.  Over the years the property was divided among the children, and now their children and now another generation of Bob's nieces and nephews.  This is family land.

It's hard to see but at the end of their driveway and across the street sits the old family home that Bob was raised in.
Look for a white home sitting between the trees.
Over the years Bob has purchased a couple of his siblings shares of land so now their home sits on 15 acres.  It doesn't show in these photos but there is a lot of woodlands and a stream at the back of the property.

As far as a place for us to be living for a short time, it doesn't get better than this.

Bob and Fran's Home.
After retirement from his career with the FBI, Bob and his brother built this 3,600 square foot home.  On this warm day we set-up tables in the shade of the carport for a big BBQ.  If you look you can see Bob's "Cooker" which is mounted on a trailer sitting on the lawn behind the carport.  Bob is a very handy man and built the BBQ himself and he knows how to use it very well.

We had such a good time with the gathering on Memorial Day that Fran had everyone back yesterday for a repeat of the feast we had the day before.  Ya' gotta love Southern hospitality.


We did a little decorating for Memorial Day.  I hung my fathers veterans flag from the RV to honor his service to our country.

The motorhome looks shiny and clean after a good washing and a little buffing yesterday.  It was in the low 90's so my work was done in small bits and pieces depending on where the shade was.  I can't tell you how nice it is to be kicking back and enjoying our time on the farm.  We needed a rest from our pace of travels and this is perfect.

Terri is loving her chance to do a little gardening while here.  She must have spend 5 or 6 hours yesterday puttering in the gardens.  It is one of the things she misses the most about not having her own gardens. 

The dogs chased and played all day, Terri gardened, I fiddled around the motorhome.  What a great day.

Bob and Fran are being great hosts and I am really enjoying my time talking with Bob.  We can sit for hours and "chew the fat".  Speaking of which, I tried a Southern delicacy yesterday.  Ray brought his homemade "Salted Deep Fried Pork Belly" for us to try.  So now I have officially "chewed the fat".  It was very, very salty.  Maybe the saltiest thing I have ever tasted.  I'm not sure that I have become Southern enough to make it a regular snack.

Life is good.....ya'll.

4 comments:

  1. Getting a vacation from your vacation. Life is tough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own children don't understand how hard I "WORK" at retirement. It's not an easy life. I needed a rest. As I am sure Charity will confirm, a nap is a good thing and 2 naps are even better. Now I must get back to my puttering so I can be prepared for my next nap. It's a hard life, I will persevere..

    ReplyDelete