Saturday, April 19, 2014

Sitting on the Dock in the Bay



We had a dozen pelicans that entertained us during our time at Anahuac.(pronounced: Ana-Whack)   They are fun to watch as they fly and fish.  They are very good fishermen.  They are good enough that the gulls follow them waiting for the left over scraps.
A funny old bird is a pelican.
His beak can hold more than his bellican.
Food for a week
He can hold in his beak,
But I don't know how the hellican.















Now that I have added a little culture to your day via Ogden Nash poetry we can move on. 

And move we did.  It was a very long drive yesterday to St. Bernard State Park in New Orleans.  We are once again in a beautiful camp site just feet from the water.  I have my eye open for gators again here.

We will be spending the day visiting the French Quarter of New Orleans.  We have paid for 4 days at this park and we may stay longer.  There  is just to much to see and do here.

The Parish we are in, St. Bernard, is the site of the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812.  I'm not a great history buff but I feel that I am an expert on the Battle of New Orleans.

How you may ask?

When I was 9 or 10 years old I went to the record shop in downtown Parkland and purchased my first 45rpm record.  I listened to that record several thousand times.  If you were standing here next to me right now I could easily sing you my favorite childhood song - "The Battle of New Orleans".

Sing along:   
Well, in eighteen and fourteen we took a little trip
along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans,
And we caught the bloody British near the town of New Orleans.


 If this song is not stuck in your head for the rest of the day maybe you are not a true American patriot......like me.

1 comment:

  1. You could have a sing-a-long with my sister. Her childhood song was "There is a house in New Orleans, they call the Rising Sun, it was a ruin for many a boy,... I preferred Elvis. Dave said to eat crab claws for sure. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete