Thursday, August 27, 2015

Admission to an Omission of a Bad Transmission

I usually only write about good things that happen to us.  I'm a devout optimist and I prefer to ignore the bad stuff that happens.  If ignorance is bliss, then optimism is even better.

So it's time to tell the sad story of the transmission in opposition to it's mission.  In order for the motorhome to be useful in travel it must go both forward and backwards.  It failed in its' reverse position.

Sad but true, a few days before we left on our Maui trip in July the RV stopped shifting into reverse.  The optimist in me said, "Perfect timing."  What better time to have a breakdown than just before we were not going to need our motorhome for two weeks.

It was perfect!

I drove the RV to the transmission shop in Tacoma and two weeks later it was ready to pick up.  It needed a complete transmission rebuild and the bill came back at a tidy $4,970.60.

Ouch.

But think how much worse it would have been if we were in the middle of nowhere and we didn't have a place to stay for those two weeks.  We were busy enjoying our time in Hawaii.

So the optimist in me is right.  Life is good.

It could only go forward. So I parked in the center of the campground in Gorst at Kitsap Square Dance Center.
Not a problem.  We were the only ones there.
Pick a spot, any spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment