Wednesday, June 8, 2016

What Goes Up, Must Come Down


I drank the magical (or maybe stupid) waters.... I'm ready for the hike from Hell.  This morning I awoke with  the brilliant idea to hike across the mountain that separates us from the next village to the South, Riomaggiore.  What was I thinking.  Obviously I had lost my mind.

We have hiked hundreds of trails in the states and we are used to a 5, 6 or 7 mile day of walking.  This turned out to be more than we bargained for.  I should have known that when the normal sea coast trail was closed that option #2 might not be a stroll through the vineyards.

Somewhere down there is our home in Manarola.
We picked a trail that started near our house.  Part way up I was beginning to understand my mistake.
The trail got smaller, steeper and rougher.  We kept on going.

The village below kept getting smaller.

Finally we reached the summit of our hike.  It had taken 3 times longer than we had planned.... and we still had to hike down the other side.  Gratefully the descent was a better trail than the climb up.

Our goal was in sight.
We made it to Riomaggiore.
The last half of the hike Terri had one goal in mind.  And that goal included a beer.

A happy hiker.

After walking the village we took a train home. Our feet were tired, our bodies ached, my fingers even hurt and we smelled bad.  It was a great hike.  I won't do it again tomorrow.  I'm not drinking any more "stupid" water.

A better way home.
Life is good.... once you cross the bridge to your front door.  Time for a nap!!

Home at last.

1 comment:

  1. You did it, though! More than most people can say! (y)

    ReplyDelete