Friday, May 8, 2015

How to RV to Maui

Sunrise this morning from the Red Canyon, Kanab, Utah.
We are going to Hawaii in July.  Now that my seem like a long drive in the RV with a slight water obstacle in the way.  But we have found a way to overcome this minor problem.  We are leaving the motorhome behind and letting Alaska Airline fly us there.

It's time for a vacation.

That sounds dumb to even me.  It seems to me like we have been on vacation every day for the last two years.  But here's an odd thought.  Our nomadic lifestyle is our new normal and ordinary life. 

When we started our travels we asked ourselves if we would ever need or want to go on vacation again.  We had not thought about that possibility until my brother Dave and his wife Jamie asked if we would like to go to Maui with them in July.  At first we didn't know if we wanted to go.

Here's a little family history.  When my Dad was 55 he retired.  He and my Mom began traveling....a lot.   When my brother was 55 he and his wife began traveling a lot.... even more than my Mom and Dad had.  Terri and I didn't retire until she was 60.  We have a lot of catching up to do.

Sister-in-law Jamie has made a science of going on vacation.  They spend a third of their year traveling all over the world.  They are not rich.... she is just the best shopper and deal finder in the world.  She works at finding the best deals and is willing to go at the drop of a hat.  She is the "Queen of Travel".

They have rented a condo in Maui that has two bedrooms.  We get the second bedroom, lucky us. 

When my sister Sara heard we were going she decided that it was a good idea.  Now the Ranger clan will all be there. 

Here's a little more family history.  About 10 or 11 years ago my sister told my brother and I that it was time for us to start vacationing together.  Our families were raised and we needed to spend time together.  What little sister wants, little sister gets.  We all started going to Mazatlán every November.  We all loved it and that was the beginning of our desire to retire and live in Mexico.  Sara is to blame for us becoming Mexicans.

We are looking forward to family time in Maui.... life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment