Saturday, May 30, 2015

Moochdocking

Boondocking, dry camping, pavement parking, BLM camping, Wallydocking (Walmart camping).  These are all names used to describe camping for free in your RV.  This last week we have been "Moochdocking" on the street in front of our friend Collette's house in Eagle, Idaho.


Parked-up in front of Collette's house
Now I'm not feeling too guilty about being a mooch, we did take Collette along for a 3 week trip to Yellowstone in 2013.  Aside from being a mooch it has been good to see her and her dog, Abby.  Eva and Abby have had a good time playing together.

The motorhome did spend three days at Camping World having the heating furnace serviced.  We needed a new burner and igniter installed.  The furnace had started to show a little soot in the exhaust which is an early indicator that it needed to be serviced.  I'm glad we got it done when it was convenient and when we had a borrowed bedroom to stay in.  It only cost $500.15. 

Whenever we have had to have work done on the RV I always remind myself that there were costs of owning a house.  Things always needed repairs in our Raft Island home and it is no different in the RV.

June 30th will be our 2nd anniversary of living in the motorhome.  During that time our total repair costs have been less than two months costs of living in the Raft Island home.  However the Raft Island home got better gas mileage than the motorhome.  Both homes have great views, but I think I prefer the changing view from the RV.

Now if you know me, you know I'm a "number crunching" kind of a guy.  Ever since my wife taught me Excel, I like budgeting and punching numbers.  Between electronic banking and spread sheets I am always playing with our numbers.

So here is an interesting comparison between our lives living in a house and our new lives as nomads.  I'll compare our household expenses between our old home and living in the RV.  We paid cash for the motorhome, but when I compare the two costs, the motorhome purchase paid for itself in 18 months.  That was the simple math of comparing the two expenses.
 
Our gracious hosts.

It really doesn't matter one way or the other.  We are happy living in the RV and wintering in Mazatlán.  That's what counts.

Life is good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment