Saturday, May 14, 2016

Poor Planning as a Travel Style

We aren't locked into any plans.
Over the last three years I have come to realize that I am a poor planner.  I say this proudly and I advocate on behalf of all the others who don't know what they are doing the next day or the next 10 minutes.  We who lack planning are "special".

1.  We can never make a mistake, we just change directions easily.

2.  We are never surprised or disappointed because we have no expectations.

3.  We are easily pleased when things turn-out fine.

4.  We are overjoyed when serendipity brings surprises our way.

5. We've become comfortable in our oblivion.

6. Not planning causes me to be a daily reader to find the next adventure.

Being the optimist that I am, I am well suited to get up in the morning not knowing what will happen.  But experience has taught both Terri and I that there is an adventure waiting to be discovered each day.  Sometimes it's the little stuff that is great.  Yesterday our 5 year old grandson walked up to Terri and said, "Let's snuggle".  It was a down day from our travels so Terri was please to get to snuggle.  They were both smiling.

I made reservations at an AirBnB in Bonn for Monday thru Thursday.  I'm not sure how long the AirBnB software has been around, but it was time for us to experience a different form of travel accommodations. We will be renting a room in a private residence in the Old Town part of Bonn, Germany.  The software allows you direct contact with the home owner and the reviews from many other travelers gives you a pretty good idea of what you will get.  We'll see how we like it.  We have 2 1/2 months to go in Europe so I wanted to try this early in our travels.

While I was reading I found that Cologne, Germany had the highest concentration of castles in Europe.  So we will add two days there to see castles. Lack of planning leaves me open to changing plans at the slightest whim.

Brother Dave and Jamie arrive in Brussels on Saturday so we will be taking a morning train back to meet-up with them when they arrive.  They have been wandering around Eastern Europe so we are anxious to hear about their adventures.  More inspiration for what to do next!

I may not plan well, but things are going just fine as they roll along.

Life is good.

Sometimes Terri is surprised where we end up.

2 comments:

  1. You sound much like us! We plan the big things but after that we just let things roll. We have used Airbnb several times and it has worked out well each time. We like the chance to meet up with locals so this works well. We also use couchsurfing.org a lot but with that you actually stay with someone in their house, we always try to find ones where we can actually have a private bedroom rather than a couch. ;-)

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun. Can't wait to experience Germany. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete