Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Still Learning Lessons

Eva exploring outside in the sun.  We are backed up to the Guadalupe River at "By The River RV Park".  A nice place.


We are having a "regular" day around our home.... vacuuming, dusting, washing windows and puttering around catching up on chores.  No tourist stuff today.  Terri and Eva are now snuggled up on the couch taking an afternoon nap.  Lucky dog.

So I thought I would share new life lessons I've learned in the last couple of months.

1.  Hold on tight when passing or being passed by an old square nosed Kenworth truck.  There is nothing aerodynamic about an old semi truck.  The new trucks don't try to knock you off the road like an old semi.

2.  Only drive 150-200 miles per day.  Any more than that and my brain is shot. 

3.  Drive in the morning.  Less side winds becomes important as the drive gets past 3 or 4 hours.

4. Listen to the weather man/woman.  They can fairly accurately predict what is going to happen and the timing down here in the South.

5. If you don't listen to the weather report you are an idiot.  If they tell you that a storm front is coming through at 11:15 they will be correct.  You can put money on it.  Yes, I have been an idiot.

6. Puppies get smarter after six months.  Eva is becoming a much better dog and is learning several hand commands.  She is very smart and Terri is doing a great job of training her.  Eva is also a good student.



7.  Never try to have deep discussions with your spouse after driving for 4 or 5 hours.  Nothing good can come from this.  I keep having to learn this lesson.  I am not a good student.

8. Birds in Texas have a whole different vocabulary than birds in Washington state.  A bird sitting in a tree could mimic the sound of my closing the RV door.  I'm not kidding.  I tested the bird several times.  Just amazing.

9.  I like listening to a Texan talk.  No matter what they are saying it sounds good.  While staying in the Walmart parking lot I had a long discussion about Texas oil with an old cowboy.  I couldn't always understand what he was saying, but it sure sounded good.

I know there must be more wisdom to share but I'll save some for a later day.

Life is good......y'all.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings!
    I just found your blog when I was looking for info on a 2000 la Palma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a 2000 La Palma and was hoping I got a good deal...this is our first RV.
    Any advice on the RV? It has 22k miles on the Trident V10 and looks in great shape.

    ReplyDelete