Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Best Coleslaw in the World?

Here's my story for the day.  As we got close to our destination a few days ago I stopped at a gas station to fill-up the RV.  After I pumped $130.00 worth of fuel I walked inside to pay.  This is really out in the country so they don't have credit cards readers on their pumps. 

As I went inside I noticed that it was also a country grocery store and a small café.  As I was paying the fellow, we started to talk.  He and his wife own the place and he is the cook.  Somewhere in the conversation he mentioned that he made the best coleslaw in the world.

I stopped him right there.  I explained that everywhere we traveled I would try coleslaw any time I could.  I told him he had stiff competition from many other places.  He stuck to his claim and challenged me to give his a try.

Two days later we were traveling down the road past the Lighthouse Café.  We decided to drop in and have lunch.  I told his wife we were there to see if he was just bragging or if he had the best coleslaw in the world.

The Lighthouse Gas Station/Grocery/Café.
I ordered the $3.99 cheeseburger and fries special, sweet tea and a side of coleslaw.  Terri had a breakfast of pancakes, eggs and bacon.

So we're sitting in a gas station on the road between Bassett and Stuart, Virginia.  My expectations weren't that high.  How good could it really be?  It turns out to be a fine meal and the coleslaw......

Well I had to inform him that he didn't have the best coleslaw in the world.  That honor belongs to Munchkins Restaurant in Mazatlán, Mexico.  I did tell him that he would have to settle for being the best in the USA.

He seemed happy with the honor and we all had a good laugh.

So if you ever find yourself on Route 8/ HWY 58 heading out of Stuart, stop for some gas and the best coleslaw in the USA.

Downtown Stuart.... all two blocks.
Bassett, Virginia.....not much town left.
The old Bassett Furniture Factory.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday we will be visiting 3 different small towns to listen to Bluegrass music.  So long as we are in the birthplace of this style of music we are going to enjoy ourselves. 

Life is good wandering old country roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment