Thursday, June 5, 2014

Blue Ridge Parkway


We  celebrated my 63rd birthday by getting Terri and I a new home in North Carolina.

Terri on the front porch of the new place.
Me on the front porch surveying my 3,600 acre front yard.
OK, so we could not buy the Moses H. Cone Mansion because he donated his place to the National Park Service.  However I am a taxpayer, so some small portion is mine.  I think I will claim the front porch.

I wouldn't want to maintain a 3,600 acre estate so it turned out fine that it's not available.

So how did the man make his riches?  At the turn of the century he was the "King of Denim".  He and his brother started in textiles in their early 20's and by 40 years old he retired to the country due to his poor health.  He died at 51, so I am at least 12 years better off than him.

Home Sweet Home..... not quite a mansion.
At least we have a waterfront view from our campsite.
A panorama shot from the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Today we spent hours driving a small portion of the 469 mile Blue Ridge Parkway.  The parkway follows the high ridgelines that goes from North Carolina to Virginia.  It is an amazing two lane road that twists and turns from mountain top to mountain top.

Terri loved driving the Honda through dozens of hairpin and S curves.  It was like being in a 5 hour road race.  Along the way are dozens of scenic turnouts and vistas.  Most were breathtaking.



When I saw this cliff I had to jump the fence for a closer look.
Yep, it was a long way down.
As I've always said, "What we Ranger's lack in brains we make-up for in good looks".  I didn't fall over the edge so I'm still here to write this blog.

We stopped along the way to look at scenic streams and falls.

It was another fine day in our adventure.  We plan for more of the same tomorrow.  It's time to take Eva hiking in the mountains.


Life is Good....beside a babbling brook.

3 comments:

  1. You peeking over that forbidden rock is a cool pic, but SCARY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did Eva think of the waterfall?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva stayed at home today. She'll be out traveling with us tomorrow. I'll ask her after she sees her first waterfall.

    ReplyDelete