Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I Miss Some Old Traditions


Some traditions die hard.  I haven't had my old boat 'Granquility' for a couple of Summers now.  I miss being out on the water with the grandkids.  I miss the visits to Eagle Island.  I miss crabbing with grandson Jake.  But I don't miss the 100's of hours each year maintaining 17,000 pounds of teak.

I must admit I enjoyed varnishing all that teak, but my knees made it harder and harder each year to do "quality bildge time".  The heart was willing but the knees won't bend.

We saw Bernie the new owner at a waterfront concert in Gig Harbor last night.  He reports all is well with the old boat.  The boat looks better than ever due to his skills in carpentry.  He was the right man to be the next caretaker.

The old trawler lamp from Granquility now hangs from an awning arm on the motorhome.
It's not quite the same as a wooden mast.

After 13 years as members of Day Island Yacht Club we took a demit and are no longer active in boating.  We miss our boating friends and all the good time we had cruising with them.

I still proudly fly the DIYC burgey in the front window of our land yacht.

Today is final move out day from our Cliffside apartment.  My brother Dave is helping me move the oak furniture into storage.  We are keeping Grandma Wadsworth's china hutch, Grandma Ranger's buffet and other old oak furniture that we have collected over the years.  I just can't give up my Morris chair, it's where I will be sitting when I'm old and drooling.

1 comment:

  1. Your boating keepsakes seem appropriate for your land yacht. And pretty too.

    ReplyDelete