Thursday, July 11, 2013

I'm Lichen My Girl

I know they say that it rains to much in the Seattle area.  Compared to the Hoh Rain Forest we don't even come close to being wet and rainy.
 
This morning we did two hikes in the Hoh Rain Forest.  Each was a little different but both were filled with moss and lichen. They were a little over 2 miles so we finished them early.  As we came back down the road from the trails we stopped and had our PB&J lunch by the side of a small stream.  The sounds of the rushing waters was relaxing.
 


 
I'm really lichen this girl..... a small flora/fauna joke. 

 
I didn't fall in the stream, I couldn't resist walking across the downed log....62 and still being a kid.



We headed to the coast for the afternoon.  The next several photos are of Rialto Beach which is just north of La Push.  Every stone on the beach is a perfect skipping rock.  It must be a steep beach because the surf breaks right onto the rocky shore.



Next we circled back on the road to La Push and stopped at Second Beach.  The hike into the beach is 1.75 miles but has a good elevation gain and decline.  I was tired by the time we got there but it was worth the effort.  The view out to the island is stunning.




One last shot of a dead tree.  Sometimes a dead tree is more interesting than a living one.
 
Another great day of hiking.  Terri's pedometer counted 13,900 steps. (3,000 steps per mile)

5 comments:

  1. After just one short trip you'll both need new hiking shoes! Nice pictures. I'm going to head out there in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool that your retirement days are filled with PB&J! I admit it. I'm jealous! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a "Ranger Honor" (PB&J) in 3 long days. Horrors!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I like the photos. Explain what I'm looking at in the pretty green pic below the one of the downed log crossing the stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trin, that was a shallow flowing stream. As we stood on a bridge looking down the sunlight and the flowing stream illuminated the mosses under the water. You had to be there, or maybe a video would have worked better. Dad

      Delete