Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What's In Our Backyard ?

It's a beautiful place to be.  The Quinault Rain Forest is full of streams, waterfalls, hiking trails and even Lake Quinault.  Today we did 3 hikes each with a different flavor.  The first was a 1.6 mile hike that followed Falls and Cascade Creeks.  It had a lot of elevation gain and had both of us hot and tired by the time we were finished.  We had packed a picnic lunch so we went down on the lake and cooled down as we ate lunch.

Once again Terri climbed down to the creek to see if the water was cold.
It hadn't changed from yesterday.  Still cold.
I stayed up on the bridge to take her picture, I knew it was still cold.

The second hike in the afternoon was 1.8 miles and was all on the level.  It was in a flat valley and led to Keston Homestead.  There are still several buildings from the homestead and when we looked in one of the small out-buildings there was a buck and a doe sleeping.  They were so motionless that I asked Terri if they were real.  The buck stood up so I'm guessing they were real.  They were smart enough to be inside out of the hot sun.  They did not leave, guess it was their home.

Our third hike was a very steep hike to the largest tree in the state.  The Western Red Cedar was 63.5 feet in circumference.  That's 19.5 feet across.  It was worth the effort to get there.
Terri had her pedometer on today, she walked 13,800 steps (about 3,000 steps per mile).  I did not join her on her early morning power walk of two miles. 

Thought I would show you a couple of pictures of our new home.  I've got my recliner to read in and mess with my computer, so I am a happy camper.  Terri has her i-pad and kindle so she is happy.  Amazingly our Verizon Hot Spot gets better and faster reception out here than we got in Gig Harbor.
This is us at the Quinault River Inn and RV Park.  They have nicely kept lawns and grounds right on the river.

Terri is asleep in my recliner as I write. Our normal pattern in life is for me to cook and for her to clean-up after me.  Tonight will be spicy chicken stir fry.  We'll read and watch a movie after dinner.  Just like being at home.  I guess this is the new normal home life for us.
 
Another fine day.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty pictures! Thanks for the phone call. It never occurred to me to call. huh.

    ReplyDelete