Thursday, March 13, 2014

Not so Cool

Not so cool.....the refrigerator would not work correctly when we returned to the RV last week.  Being a man of many skills I thought I would have a look to see what was wrong.  Now I will be the first to admit that I am not an electrical genius, but that was not going to stop a Ranger.  We are fearless.

My first big clue came when I removed a panel on the exterior of the RV.  Looking at the backside of the fridge I could see a bright red light glowing on the heat sensor unit.  This little relay had a bright yellow tag explaining what the part was and that it had been done as a recall on the fridge.

I had read about these recalls that Norcold had done on their fridges.  It really is a simple unplug and replace module that even I could handle.  Simple, I will just call the 1-800-number on the yellow tag.

Thus began a frustrating adventure.  I called Norcold and was speaking to a very knowledgeable person.  I gave them my serial number and they immediately knew my unit and gave me the date that the recall had been done three years ago.  So far going great.

I asked if I could purchase the part. " NO.  Why?  It can only be installed by an authorized service agent.  What about all the other parts on my fridge?  No problem.  So what you are telling me is that the only way to solve this simple problem is to have a service company drive out to my RV and unclip 4 wires and install the new part?"

Not quite so simple.  "They will come out and remove the part.  We'll send them a new one.  And than come back out and take the 2 minutes to install it."  So I will have to pay for two trips?  "Yes, and possibly the recall part also."

Well today the service tech came out.  He looked at the recall part and determined that it was the problem.  $140.00 please.  He said he'll try to have Norcold replace the recall part for free.  I won't hold my breath.  I will have the pleasure of paying another $140.00 when he returns.

My cheap fridge.
So I am alright with all of this because the problem was an easy fix.  Also I had gone online to Camping World and seen that our 4 door fridge would be $3,900.00 plus installation.  That makes a few hundred for repairs seem cheap.

Earlier this morning we took the Honda into the shop for an oil change, tire rotation and a front end alignment.  The front end alignment was no big surprise knowing the types of dirt and gravel roads it has traveled in the last 8 months.

Terri and Eva enjoying strawberries together.  Eva loves fruit.
We've spent so much money today why not just go to Nopales for dinner tonight.  At least it will be a great end to the day.  We did go square dancing last night and had a good time dancing to a very talented caller who was 86 years old.  60+ years of practice makes you very capable.

Life is good......and the fridge is cold.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are cold again...I mean the food. Ah, to be warm again! We are expecting more rain for the week-end. We are happy that you are back on line so we can follow your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad T&E got nice, cold strawberries!

    ReplyDelete