Sunday, August 18, 2013

He's a Great Fisherman

For three days we have been watching the resident Osprey fishing our little lake.  The very large white bellied bird has great patience as it waits looking down into the lake.  The lake is stocked heavily but there is no fishing allowed.  This rule does not seem to apply to the Osprey or perhaps he hasn't read the sign.


We watched him for several hours today as I waited to shoot a splendid nature shot of him in action.  My skills using a cell phone to capture the action may not have been a good plan.

Every time he flew over the second or so delay in the shutter speed allowed him to be well out of my lense view.  I was able to capture a dozen fine views of sky and trees, but no Osprey.

Finally as we were getting ready to head back to the motorhome for dinner one of the grandkids yelled, "Here he comes and he's got a fish."  I began clicking and pointing wildly hoping to catch something.  As he flew over us I was certain that I had failed again.

When we got back I reviewed all my final shots.  In the lower right corner of one frame was something white and blurry.  I enlarged it until it was even fuzzier.

So here for your entertainment pleasure is my first nature action shot.

That slightly blurred image is an Osprey holding a fish.
I know. I was there and I have witnesses.
I just don't have a great photo.
 
I have gained a whole new appreciation for nature photographers.  Maybe next time I'll go prepared with something other than a cell phone.

Tomorrow morning we will be leaving Circle 8 Ranch to deliver the 3 grandkids back home.  From there we will drive South to the Touttle River and Mt. St. Helens to spend a few days visiting with Terri's brother and sister-in-law, Shan and Beth.  They have a beautiful home on the river and plenty of space for us in our rolling home.  Terri's sister is flying in from San Francisco to spend three days with us.

We are looking forward to lots of talking time.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy the Touttle! We are off to Scenic Beach for a week and so far the forecast looks great. Maybe some more good crabbing and beach time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I call dibbs on you soon, ok?

    Oh, and Sean may not be in town to take me to Sam and Laura's wedding. :( I'm still arguing that he needs to take me, so we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picture. I hope you're doing a lot of sitting around watching birds and fish. Sam says he reads your blog every morning.

    ReplyDelete