Thursday, August 15, 2013

Optimist On Board

One of the great things about being a lifetime optimist is that I can ignore almost any bad news.  So today's health report from the various doctors was all great.  At least that's the way I see it.

I plan to live a very long life and when I pass in 2 or 3 decades I will go with a big smile on my face.  The cardiologist says everything is great with my new mechanical valve.  The heart is ticking just fine.

My RA doctor has a Plan B that will keep me moving and walking.  My general practitioner thinks I'll be fine in a couple of weeks.

So what happened?  All 3 doctors agree that I have just overdone my hiking, walking and general activity level following the open heart surgery.  They all say, "Slow down for a few weeks, you've worn yourself out." Or something like, "Let your immune system catch up and recover."

I can do that.

In my own defense I would like to say that I couldn't help myself.  It wasn't my fault. After years of living with a worn out valve I was just like a kid in the candy store.  I could now walk, hike and do things I hadn't done in ages.  I just ate to much candy to quickly.

The new plan is to take it easy for a few weeks and then work my way gradually back into heavier activity.  Terri will have a tough task reining me in, but she is quite capable to making me tow the line.

So if I should write a blog about climbing a mountain or anything dumb you can all come down on me with a gentle reminder that I'm an idiot.  I'm going to try to remember that this retirement thing is not a sprint but a long distance walk (not a run).

So the optimist in me wants to say one more time, "Ain't life great."  I sure think so.


My Dad went a little crazy in his own way after he got his new heart valve.
He started chopping wood.  And then he chopped some more.  Then he really started chopping.
When the pile was the size of a double car garage he did the only logical Ranger thing.
He chopped some more.
 

Like Father like Son.

 
As I said yesterday, we Rangers may not be the brightest family but we sure know how to chop wood.


7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a better plan. Enjoy your retirement for a long time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you just need a nice long drive to keep you away from hiking. I hear that Maryland is nice this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days we're going to do exactly that. First we have to get a winter in Mazatlan under our belts.

      Love you guys,
      Dad

      Delete
  3. I agree with Trin. And Sara. And possibly Matt, too.

    So, your doctor said to "take it easy," huh? Lucky for you that I have been honing my very own laziness skills since my own recent retirement. For instance, this morning I went to Pike Place Market. Lucy and I looked around and bought some fruit. Then we came home, ate the fruit, and took a four hour nap. THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE!!!

    If you need further laziness advice, let me know.

    ReplyDelete