Friday, August 2, 2013

Yes, We Can Do This


The big question?  Can we make the RV a home for many years to come?  The simple answer after living in it for nearly a month is “YES”.
We had done a lot of research before making the move to the RV but the only way to know for sure was to make the leap of faith and see what happened.  I can report that after the first month we are both satisfied that we are on the right track. 

We have yet to stay at a full service RV park so we have had to rely on the systems within the motorhome.  At this point we both agree that it is easier to live with an electrical hook-up than to depend on batteries. inverters and our generators. 
Holding tanks for gray and black water are the big surprise, they have to be dumped every 4 or 5 days.  That means you don’t get to stand in the shower for 15 minutes.  We have both developed our “Navy Shower Technique” in order to conserve on water consumption. Our hot water tank and our fresh water tank are more than adequate but the question we always ask ourselves is when will we be dumping next.  If it’s the next day than we can stand in the shower as long as we want or until the gray water tank is full.


Cooking has been great.  The kitchen is well laid out and works fine for me.  I still get to cook over gas which I prefer.  The double fridge and freezer is just like home but without the cold water in the front door. It has an ice maker that I haven't figured out yet. 

Because we have not been near restaurants most of this month the temptation to eat out is not there.  We are certainly cooking healthier now.  Cooking seems less rushed and dinners at the dining table are relaxed and unhurried when you are not rushing off to the next thing in life.
We don’t miss broadcast TV at all.  I had wondered if we should get a satellite TV system for the RV but decided to wait and see.  It turns out that neither of us miss it and spend more time reading and doing things on our iPad and laptop.  During the first month we only had one day that we did not have cell or internet access.  We do have a TV and Blueray to watch movies but have watched very few in the last month.

For me writing the blog has become my “thing”.  As I go through the day I think about what I might write that night.  Sometimes it’s the photos I’ve taken that will inspire what I’ll write.  It has been a lot of fun to spend time writing. 
Over my work years I had spent a large portion of my time writing in one form or another .  Now I get to do it for fun.  After college my first job was being a photographer.  During that year I shot over 10,000 photos and after leaving that job I did not touch a camera for the next 5 years.  Once again photography is fun.
Terri and I get along fine in our 300+ square foot home.  Not quite sure why I needed to have a few thousand in the past.  Lots of stuff is probably the answer.  I sure can't win the guy contest for most toys, oh well.
 We are enjoying our new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment